January 27, 2012

IVF 2.7 - Fertilization Report

Today I was on pins and needles all morning.  I was anxious to hear the results on how our eggs fertilized.  Finally a little after noon the nurse called.  Of the 10 eggs that were retrieved they were able to do the ICSI on 9 of them.  Of those 9 ICSI'd eggs, 4 of them fertilized.  So currently we have four embryos chillin in the lab.

I am a little disappointed about this number.  Last time we had seven embryos starting out and by the time we got to day 5 we only had 1 really great embryo and 2 lesser quality that never made it to freezing on day 6.  I am worried that these 4 embryos are not going to make it. And I don't know what we will do if that happens.  I am also starting to realize that the problem must be me and my body.  I am starting to fear I just don't make very good eggs.

Tomorrow we should hear from the nurse again to find out when our embryo transfer will be.  The nurse said today that it will either be Sunday (a 3 day transfer) or Tuesday (a 5 day transfer). At this point I am thinking that we might be doing a 3 day transfer because it might be better for the embryos to be inside me than taking the risk of going to a 5 day transfer. Guess time will tell.

Right now I am just trying to stay positive.  I realize that 4 embryos are better than none and I keep telling myself that the goal this time is quality, not quantity and with any luck these four embryos are going to be the best quality possible.  I just hope it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment