January 26, 2012

IVF 2.6 - Egg Retrieval

Egg retrieval was this morning at 8 am.  I wasn't nearly as nervous this time as I had been the last time.  I think it's because I was able to anticipate what was going to happen.  I was still nervous, but mostly just because I am a worrier by nature and I can't help but worry about all of the "what ifs".  Plus I worry about silly things like, will I talk when under anesthesia and what will I say, will I snore, or will my body do something embarrassing? And as many times as I try to tell myself that they have probably seen it all, I still can't help but worry.

Steve and I were up early to shower and get ready and drove the hour to the clinic. Once there Steve went to the lab to produce his specimen and I went to the waiting room.  Eventually the nurse came to get me and took me back to the procedure area. She hooked me up to an IV, took my blood pressure and started getting me ready to go.  The doctor came to see me and said she anticipated at least 10 eggs and possibly a few more if they had grown since Tuesday morning. The procedure went really well.  The doctor was able to retrieve 10 eggs and she said everything looks great.

I am feeling pretty good after everything. I came straight home and went to sleep for about 3 hours. I have just a little bit of cramping but nothing overwhelming. I am anxious to hear the fertilization report tomorrow.  Then I will find out on Saturday if we are doing a 3 day or 5 day transfer. We are also hoping to transfer 2 embryos back.

No comments:

Post a Comment