February 20, 2012

A scare and an ultrasound

Yesterday I was 5weeks and 3 days pregnant. It was a nervous day for me as this was when I had the bleeding during the last pregnancy.  It was a pretty uneventful day and we really didn't do much.  We spent most of the day lounging around, but did make it out to the grocery store for a few things.

In the evening I went to the bathroom and as I was sitting there peeing, I was thinking "wow .. I can't believe we made it the entire day and no blood. Tomorrow I will have made it one day longer this time than last time." Then I wiped ...

And there was blood.  Not a lot, but it was light red and almost like the first wipe when I realize that my period has started.  Of course I was devastated and automatically assumed the worse.  My husband though, wouldn't let me think that way.  He made me lay down on the couch and encouraged me not to stress.  He pointed out that last time I had gushed blood and I had clotting and lots of cramping, all things that I was not experiencing this time. 

After a few more trips to the bathroom over the course of a few hours the bleeding was gone. It never got any heavier than the first wipe. Of course by then I was resting in bed and trying not to freak myself out.  I knew we had an ultrasound this morning and that either way we would know if we had a baby or not.  It was nerve wracking, but I knew there wasn't anything I could do.

This morning I woke up to absolutely no bleeding, just a little bit of brown spotting. I was still have a little bit of cramping, but nothing heavy or too serious. And some felt a little stronger than previous, but at the same time I could have just been paranoid and reading a little more into things because of my nervousness. Regardless, I spent the morning relaxing and laying around in bed and on the couch.

Our ultrasound was scheduled today at 1:30 pm.  We got there early because we weren't sure how much traffic we would run into at that time of day.  Especially with today being a holiday and so many people being off work.  I basically told myself to be prepared for the worst news. And I almost had a panic attack once they brought me back to the waiting area. I wasn't expecting it but they checked my blood pressure and pulse and it was really really high.  And I knew it would be because I was so nervous.  The nurse told me I needed to go sit in the waiting room and take really deep breaths and try to relax.  After almost a 30 minute wait we were finally brought back to the ultrasound room. 

The tech informed us that it was too early to actually see a baby, but explained that she would be looking for a gestational sac in the uterus.  I was nervous all over again but just tried to lay there and relax.  I couldn't look at her face, so instead I turned and looked at Steve.  After a few minutes she confirmed that there was a gestational sac, but she needed to check inside and look for the yolk sac.  So again another few tense moments while we waited for her to find it.  She turned the monitor towards us and showed us the gestational sac and pointed out the yolk sac inside.  We were so relieved!!

After that she took measurements of the gestational sac and then checked its location in the uterus she showed us more pictures. She said the lining looked great, the sac was at the top of the uterus where it should be, and that I was measuring right on track.  The size of the sac was measuring 5w2days, but she said that's totally within the normal range. We asked if she could tell why I had the bleeding yesterday and she said she looked, but couldn't find any active bleeding. She printed a few pictures and then sent us back out to the waiting room to wait for the doctor.

The doctor came in to see us along with our IVF coordinator.  She let us know that everything looks great!! She was very happy and said that we were in great shape.  Right now we have less than a 10 percent chance of miscarriage, which is comforting.  They want to see us again at 8 weeks for another ultrasound to confirm viability by seeing the baby's heartbeat.  The doctor said that at that point we would have a less than 5% chance of miscarriage.  Steve and I both agreed, we cannot wait to get to that point.   She also told me I could stop taking the baby aspirin and the metformin.  So now I am just taking the thyroid pill in the morning and the prenatal at night.  And I am still doing the Progesterone in Oil shot at night as well. 

We are so thrilled to be where we are.  We know that we are not out of the woods yet, but we are one step closer.

1 comment: