November 3, 2011

Thankful 1.2

Today I am thankful for music. Music has played a major role in my life.  When I was little I wanted to play the saxophone some day because that's what my older brother played in the school band.  I was certain this was the instrument I was going to play in 4th grade when you could join the band. The year before you can join the band, the school hosts a meet and greet with kids who are interested in the band and their parents.  The band teachers take the opportunity to introduce the possible instruments that students might like to play.  Most often girls choose to play the flute or the clarinet.  Boys like the drums and tuba.  It's a pretty even mix with trumpets, saxophones and low brass instruments. My mom laughs when she tells the story of how I was so certain I was going to play that saxophone, but when they brought out the trombone and played it for us, my eyes got saucer wide and I told my mom that was the instrument I was going to play.

I loved playing the trombone.  It's a beautiful sounding instrument and it's different.  I played in the band the whole way through high school.  In high school I played in several different bands - Marching Band, Jazz band, Concert Band and pit band for the musicals.  I loved every minute of it.  I had such a blast in marching band and eventually became the drum major my senior year with two other girls (a clarinet player and a flute player). 

But band isn't the only way music has affected my life.  I love music.  I really don't care what it is ... I will pretty much listen to anything. Except maybe really hard core rap .. but who calls that music anyways? Music is a beautiful addition to life.  It's amazing the power music has to bring up some of the best and worst memories. Music is used in movies to convey all kinds of feelings and emotions. 

I hate to ride in the car without having music playing in the background.  It's just too quiet without it.  I also have music playing all day at work.  It helps me tune out the sounds around me and lets me focus on my work.  I don't think I will ever lose my love for music.

Here is my list of things to be thankful for:

Day 1 My Husband
Day 2 Music

No comments:

Post a Comment