January 14, 2015

Here we go again ....

I know it's been a long time since I've blogged, but it's been a busy hectic kind of life chasing a 2 year old around and just enjoying all of the blessings I have.  G is doing great, she's growing and thriving and while she still remains on the smaller side of the weight and height scale, she's leaps and bounds ahead developmentally.  She really is our miracle baby and I'm about to tell you why.

Amongst all of the craziness that has been life with G, hubby and I began discussing having another baby this past fall.  We want our kids to be close in age, but not too close.  We had thought at one point maybe a year ago about having another baby, but decided to wait until G was closer to 2 before making any firm decisions. 

So in September we went back to our RE for a consultation and tentatively scheduled a frozen embryo transfer for January of 2015. We had two frozen embryos left from our IVF cycle with G. But first we thought that maybe we would try a few months of Clomid again while we waited for the new year.  But after just one month on the meds, we decided that Clomid was no longer the right option for us.  I felt like a totally crazy person.  I had no patience with G, I had a very short temper and honestly was worried that I might hurt her accidentally during a hormone induced rage.  Needless to say, I went back to the RE the next month and told them I was no longer interested in waiting on the FET, that we wanted to schedule it ASAP.  What was a few months earlier anyways? What were we waiting for? 

We picked a date and set a schedule for testing and medications.  On December 2, against the advice of our doctor, we transferred our two remaining embryos.  The doctors had cautioned us that we would have a much greater chance of having twins because these two remaining embryos came from a batch that resulted in a successful pregnancy.  On December 9th I got a positive home pregnancy test.  It was the last test I had and I had just about given up hope that I was going to see a positive.  But it was there, so hubby and I took G on vacation to Virginia Beach to see the Christmas lights on the beach.  While there I had my first beta done and it was 126.  I was thrilled, this was the highest beta I'd ever had.  But I was a little nervous that it might be twins.

Because G got sick while we were on vacation, we ended up coming home early so I had my repeat beta done at the clinic 2 days after the first one.  My number was only 198.8 which the clinic wasn't super concerned because they felt that the difference could be because it was from two different labs.  So they scheduled me for one more beta on Monday the 15. This beta came back at 338.  So again, not a perfect double, but enough of an increase that the doctor scheduled our ultrasound for the following Monday.  We were scared and a nervous, but excited that we could possibly be announcing our pregnancy to close friends and family on Christmas.

Monday December 22 the ultrasound showed that there was one baby, although it was too small to be seen.  But the gestational sac was measuring right on target at 5weeks3days (I was 5weeks5days pregnant) and there was a yolk sac that could be seen.  We made our plans for telling our families and friends on Christmas.  I had ordered a Christmas themed Big Sister to Be shirt for G hoping that I wasn't going to regret it and it looked like things were great so we moved forward with our announcement and had a great Christmas celebrating with our families. 

No comments:

Post a Comment