February 7, 2014

Keeping us on our toes

As the title of this post mentions, G has really been keeping us on our toes lately.   She is a child with a lot of energy, no fear, and avid curiosity of the world around her.  She loves to climb and explore and to give her mother gray hairs. 

A few weeks ago G woke up with a fever of 101 and it just kept climbing.  I gave her Tylenol a few times and her temp never came down below 103.  Finally around 3 pm I called the doctor to see what they thought we should do.  When I told the nurse that she had been fairly lethargic, she told me to bring G in to be seen.  When we showed up for our appointment G had a temperature of 103.5.  After checking her for the flu and an ear infection and both being negative, the doctor wanted to cath her for a urine sample to rule out a UTI.  That test came back negative which lead the doctor to determine that it was most likely something viral.  She sent us home with instructions to give Tylenol ever 4 hours, push fluids and rest.  She said to watch out for seizures if her temp climbed really high and to take her to the ER if it reached 105.
That night and the next day we battled her fever which reached 104.2 Monday night and then 104.5 late Tuesday afternoon.  I called the doctor and they suggested giving her Tylenol and checking her in 40 minutes, if the temp didn't come down to at least 101 she suggested we take her to the ER to have bloodwork done in case she was having some type of infection after all.   We arrived at the ER and were quickly seen.   An IV was started to give G some fluids and take blood for the blood work.  The blood work came back clean and didn't show signs of dehydration which were all good things, but my baby was still running a high fever.  They gave her ibuprofen and finally she cooled down to 101.  It was so scary worrying whether or not she was going to have a seizure and ultimately not knowing exactly what was causing her fever.

Tuesday night her fever stayed low and she finally slept through the night for the first time in days.  We followed up with the doctor on Wednesday and by then her temp was staying at 101 or below, so we knew the worst of it was over.  By Thursday morning G was finally feeling more like her normal self and was mostly fever free.  By Friday morning she was nearly 100%.  So after being cooped up in the house with a sick baby for 4 days, we needed to do some errands and get some groceries.

I left Steve at home to work on our upstairs bathroom and took G with me to get our errands done.  Things were going great until we got to Walmart.  As usual G didn't want to sit in the cart and I kept fighting with her to sit down and stay strapped in.  But the strap really doesn't do much for us because G can wiggle her little butt out of it and stand up in a matter of seconds.  So through the store we struggled with on another to stay in the cart and made it to checkout.  We get to the checkout, I unload our groceries while attempting to keep G sitting and then pay the cashier.  I reached for the last bag and as I turned and put the bag in the back of the cart, G decided to take a header out of the cart.

I think my heart stopped for a few seconds.  Then I quickly picked her up, she was bawling of course, and checked her out for any obvious injuries but couldn't see any.  She was acting normal, but I was concerned that she might have injured her head in some way, so off to the ER we went.  I called Steve on the way to let him know I was taking G to the ER and why, I think at first he thought I was joking.  What great fun it was to make an ER visit for the second time in one week! Luckily G was fine and didn't even need an xray or CT scan so we were in and out in less than an hour. 

Needless to say it was an eventful week.  One I hope not to repeat for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment