May 3, 2012

16 Weeks

Today I am 16 weeks.  It's exciting to be just a few weeks away from the half way point.  I had lots of appointments this week - both the OB and the Endo doctor. My appointment with the OB went well. We had to decide if we wanted to do some optional testing.  The first was cystic fibrosis testing and the second is a quad screening test that tests for possible birth defects.  After much discussion, Steve and I decided that we were not interested in this testing.  Basically our reasoning is that nothing we learned would change what we did about this pregnancy and in the end it's not worth the worry and stress that it would cause.  So we are going to enjoy this pregnancy and pray for a healthy baby and be grateful for whatever it is God has gifted us with.

I also got to schedule my anatomy ultrasound.  This is also the ultrasound where we can find out the sex of our baby.  At first Steve and I didn't want to know what we were having.  We are so happy and thrilled to be having a baby that we honestly do not care what sex the baby is.  However, both of our parents and most of our friends are against us waiting to find out.  Also, we know that because of the gestational diabetes we will end up having more ultrasounds than normal and at some point we risk the chance of finding out by accident.  And .. we have agreed that it's better to just find out now rather than wait. And .. I just don't know if I can wait :)

This morning I had an appointment with the Endocrinologist who is monitoring my sugars for the gestational diabetes.  So far things look great except for my 1 hour after breakfast level.  For some reason no matter what I eat within the diet parameters my sugars are over the 140 norm.  He said he would like me to eat 50% protein and 50% carbs and see if that can correct the problem.  If not he said we might do a little bit of insulin only at breakfast.  I am to continue monitoring my sugars and sending them in to him and follow up in 4 weeks.  If anything needs to happen in the mean time they will call and let me know.

At this point my symptoms have pretty much gone away.  I still have occasional queasiness and dry heave in the morning but it's like 1 day out of every 3 or 4.  I am less tired than before and feel like I have a lot more energy.  My sex drive has returned as well.  But my boobs are growing more and hurt again when I had been feeling some relief in that area the past few weeks.  I am now wearing a 42E in my bras and I know if I intend to breastfeed that these bras just are not going to cut it.   Of course Steve isn't complaining about this growth and I wouldn't be either if they didn't hurt so darn bad .. lol.

I have also been looking at bunches of baby stuff.  I am trying to find the patterns and stuff I like for the stroller and the car seat.  Basically trying to figure out all of the things that I like and want to register for.  But let me tell you - it's overwhelming!! I can't believe how much baby stuff there is out there and how many things you have to choose from.  Thank goodness for a few good friends who have helped me determine what stuff is important and what we can do without.  I am looking forward to all that will be coming as we progress through this pregnancy. 

16 week belly picture:



2 comments:

  1. Mandy you look great! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I just gave you the "One Lovely Blog Award" Stop by to check it out. http://ttcwithazoospermia.blogspot.com/

    Congrats on 16 weeks! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete